In the previous blog post you found some useful tips on how to choose your major without regretting it. Today you will learn how to apply successfully for a Dutch university. Before you panic, let me tell you that applying for university in the Netherlands is quite easy. Keep reading to find out how!
Documents you need to apply to university
There are several standard documents which apply for all universities in the Netherlands, both research and applied sciences.
Let’s take a closer look at each one:
This is typically your highest level of educational achievement, such as a high school diploma or an undergraduate degree, depending on the level of study you are applying for (e.g., Bachelor’s or Master’s program)
2. Transcript of your grades
It is very important for your transcript to be translated in English by a sworn translator with a stamp and a signature.
3. English Language Certificate
You can choose between IELTS, Cambridge or TOEFL. For more information regarding the score, you can consult with us.
4. Motivational letter
This is a crucial element of your application. It is your opportunity to set yourself apart from the rest by explaining why you are the best candidate, what motivates you to choose this particular university and why you believe you are a great fit for the program. Explain what your goals are and how this program aligns with them.
5. Curriculum Vitae
Your CV should provide an overview of your academic and professional background. You should include your personal information and educational history. Mention also any relevant work experience such as internships or projects you have worked on. Highlight responsibilities, skills gained, and accomplishments. Feel free to add any extracurricular activities you have participated that demonstrate your valuable qualities.
6. Letter of Recommendation
Some universities may require a letter of recommendation. Ask a teacher or any relevant person who has a great understanding of your abilities. This information helps universities assess your suitability for the program
Applying to university in the Netherlands
After you have gathered all the documents, it is time to start the application process. For all public universities in the Netherlands, the first step is to register in Studielink. This is the centralized platform where you will manage your applications to universities in the Netherlands.. For private universities, you can apply directly on the university website.
If you’re applying to Studielink, here are the steps you need to take:
1. Fill in your personal information such as name, address, and contact information. Make sure the information is accurate and up to date.
2. Choose your program(s): search for the program you wish to apply for and select it. Studielink will guide you through the process.
3. Upload your documents and ensure that all your documents are in the proper format and meet the university’s specifications. If you do not have your transcripts and English certificate, you can upload them later but make sure you do so.
4. Some universities may charge an application fee, so be prepared to make the necessary payments during the application process.
5. Submit Your Application: double-check your application for accuracy and completeness. Then, submit it through Studielink.
6. Confirmation: After submitting your application, you will receive a confirmation email from Studielink. Keep an eye on your email for updates from the university as well.
7. Wait for a Response: Universities will review your application and contact you with the results. This may take some time, so be patient.
8. Acceptance and Enrollment: First you will receive a conditional acceptance letter. In order to ensure your spot, follow the instructions provided by the university to confirm your acceptance and complete the enrolment process.
Need help with the application process? Contact us! Our team of digital study counsellors have plenty of experience in submitting a winning application. Good luck!